EdMod Designer Job Description
! ------ EXTENDED APP BY 1 WEEK TO FRIDAY 10/29/21 ----- !
CONTRACT POSITION: 12-month contract with the possibility of extension. Interested applicants must be able to work onsite at the New York City office.
Engineer for the Week (EFTW) is one of the premiere programs designed and spearheaded by the Education Modernization (EdMod) Team at Facebook. In addition to EFTW, EdMod is developing a wide range of products and programs to support our evolving learner community – and this position will have the opportunity to work with many of them. We’re excited to share the following position overview with you and we encourage you to share it with your network.
The Education Modernization (EdMod) Team at Facebook is seeking a Designer to support us in design, art direction and strategy work across our portfolio of products and programs. By working alongside EdMod, you will support our mission to co-create free learning opportunities with historically underrepresented communities that strengthen K-12 education and support learners.
Reporting to the Head of Design, the EdMod Designer will work cross-functionally with program managers, marketing strategists, instructional designers, infrastructure specialists, and video production teammates to both lead and art direct the creation of marketing and instructional assets for a variety of projects. Ideal candidates for the role will have the expertise and capacity to:
- Work alongside EdMod’s design team as well as with external partners to execute on projects with pre-defined scopes and visions, as well as lead projects on your own by working with our freelance network to build speciality around each project’s need.
- Understand the traditional design process and are able to conceptualize, strategize, and execute on graphic design projects, including but not limited to: brand applications, marketing materials (ie: website design and upkeep, one pagers, advertisements, social media assets etc.), event design assets, instructional materials (ie: tutorial guides, educational worksheets, etc.), user experience design, user interface design, and video support.
- Apply creative feedback effectively
- Adapt design solutions to fit the needs of EdMod’s audience, considering their diverse backgrounds above all else.
- Art direct small, specialized project teams to reach success, handling everything from creation ideation to project management to execution.
This is a full time contractor position located in the New York City office that will start in November 2021 for 12 months until November 2022, with the opportunity to extend.
- Joining the in-house brand creative team to produce designs for the Education Modernization Team and its current and future programs
- Brand Support: design elements for a pre-existing overarching brand to further contribute to and expand on the brand architecture as it relates to our specific projects
- Digital Support: design static/interactive digital banners, digital PDFs and presentations (Google Slides)
- UI/UX Support: design program user experience flowcharts, user interface elements, process diagrams, etc.
- Print Design Support: design worksheets, pamphlets, flyers, booklets, packets, etc.
- Special Event Support: design signage, promotional swag, and collateral
- Social Media Support: design/maintain posts + overall look/feel across all social channels
- Video Graphic Support: contribute towards overall video creative, as well as creating graphical elements to be incorporated into various types of videos: instructional, marketing and informational
- Misc Design Support: design iconography, infographics and illustrations
- Leading small specialized teams of freelancers to push strategies + concepts to the next level through art direction and design execution
- Working with cross-functional partners and team members to contribute towards overall design strategy for in-house brand creative team and individual products and programs
- Create and launch user tests that are incorporated into project processes along the way / post-launch in order to better understand our audience
- Research and analysis of similar-space organizations and ed-tech space to always stay up-to-date and relevant
- Project manage tasks within a project management system, managing timelines, dependencies, and resourcing
- 5–6 years experience in an agency/studio/in-house setting
- Proficiency with Adobe Suite, especially Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Photoshop
- Experience working independently on multiple projects at once, prioritizing to meet deadlines within short time frames
- Passionate about solving community/cultural engagement issues through design
- Experience generating, pitching and leading unique/creative design concepts
- Excellent design fundamental skills, including typographical and layout skills, acute attention to detail, physical prototyping mockups, presentation skills, and staying up-to-date with design trends
- Experience interacting in a professional and friendly manner with clients
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS to build/maintain websites
- Experience with data collection, data input, and managing work calendars
- Ability and desire to adapt to new technologies and tools
- Bachelor's degree in Visual Communication Design / Graphic Design
- Experience producing graphic assets for any combination of the K–12, Ed-tech, STEM, and volunteer / non-profit sectors a plus, more specifically in the field of computer science and alongside our communities (ie: Black and Latinx, Indigenous, and female-identifying learners in particular)
- Proficiency with video skills and the Adobe After Effects/Adobe Premiere Pro programs a plus
- Working knowledge of the product design vertical, specifically building digital experiences, a plus
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.
If interested, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “EdMod Designer” by Friday, 10/29/21.