Product Design Freelancer Needed to Support EdMod
Engineer for the Week (EFTW) is one of the premier programs designed and spearheaded by the Education Modernization (EdMod) Team at Facebook. In addition to EFTW, EdMod is developing a wide range of products and programs to support our evolving learner Community – and this position will have the opportunity to work with many of them. We’re excited to share the following position overview with you and we encourage you to share it with your network.
The Education Modernization (EdMod) Team at Facebook is seeking a Product Design Freelancer to support us in product experience, testing, consulting, and design work across our portfolio of products and programs. By working alongside EdMod, you will support our mission to co-create free learning opportunities with historically underrepresented communities that strengthen K-12 education and support learners.
Reporting to the Head of Design, the EdMod Product Design Freelancer will work cross-functionally with graphic designers, program managers, instructional designers, subject matter experts, research & development teammates, technical artists, and product development teammates to support in the creation of the educational + extended reality (ie: Extended Reality = XR – combination of augmented reality + virtual reality) products our team focuses on. You will work alongside our internal design team as well as with a variety of external partners to continue building upon the progress of our current products, basing your work off of pre-determined strategy, research, audience needs, and product marketability. You will provide consultation and expertise to supplement our internal team knowledge as well as contribute towards actual product design itself: brainstorming ideas, developing concepts, designing wireframes / mock-ups, coordinating product features / design specifications, providing & facilitating feedback cycles, testing & evaluating product needs + fit, and more. You understand the traditional design process and are able to create varying graphic assets in relation to product design with great speed and integrity, including but not limited to: custom user interfaces (UI), iconography, vector illustrations, typographic applications, and user experience flows. It is preferred that you also have a working knowledge of 3D artwork & the XR (AR / VR) space, showing experience working on products that focus within this ever-expanding sector. Through this position, EdMod is committed to supporting your career and personal development as you contribute towards a world where learners have more equitable access and opportunity to build upon their futures.
This is a remote consultancy position that will either start in June or start in September of 2021 (TBD based on project needs) for 3 months, with the opportunity to extend. We are looking for an individual who can commit a minimum of 20 hours per week, which includes attending recurring team & project meetings.
- Push product strategies, concepts, & designs to the next level by providing product design expertise to our external partners and in-house design team
- Study our overall product ecosystem (including but not limited to product strategy, audience insights, primary requirements docs, current & past product versions, etc.) to provide strategic suggestions that meet the needs of our users, and then work with our team to act on those suggestions
- Support external product development partners as they produce UI & UX assets for our products (web, mobile, XR, etc.)
- Test our current products / programs through various evaluation & validation techniques + leveraging various tools, translating found insights into actionable product decisions
- Be prepared to creatively brainstorm, concept, design, & execute upon various product features based on data-informed decisions
- Collaborate closely with instructional designers & subject matter experts to map product decisions to curriculum / educational pedagogy
- Act as a key stakeholder in reviewing product design deliverables and providing detailed feedback to partners
- Provide pivotal product design learnings to in-house design team as well as surface product design training & learning opportunities for them to consider pursuing
- Project manage own tasks within a project management system, managing timelines, dependencies, and resourcing
- Interface with in-house design team + any extended teams on progress through various virtual conference (VC) meetings and weekly status updates
- 2–3+ years of product design experience in a design agency / studio / in-house setting
- Proficiency with industry-standard design tools + skill-sets, including but not limited to capabilities with Figma, Adobe Suite (ie: Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, etc.), & HTML / CSS
- Excellent UX (user experience) expertise a must, understanding user perceptions, responses, & eventual adoption of product interactions that end in meaningful and / or relevant experiences for our audience; this spans all aspects of product branding, design, usability, and functionality
- Highly self-motivated team player who thrives in cross-functional environments, can work independently on multiple projects at once while utilizing project management skills to meet deadlines & adapt to shifting priorities, and can serve as a team point-of-contact for other external partners when needed
- Experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of work and committed to providing this perspective during product design through a learner-first approach to solving problems
- Experience with testing, evaluating, & validating product design, including but not limited to using tools such as Amplitude, heat-mapping software, usertesting.com, etc.
- Excellent design fundamental skills, including typography and layout skills, acute attention to detail, presentation skills, and staying up-to-date with design trends
- Proficiency with the Google Suite (Docs / Sheets / Slides) + Microsoft Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) with experience in documentation
- Bachelor's degree in Product Design, Visual Communication Design or Graphic Design with a special focus on product design. Other related schooling experience includes: industrial design, engineering or architecture with a special focus on product design
- Experience producing product design assets for any combination of the K–12, Ed-tech, STEM, and volunteer / non-profit sectors a plus, more specifically in the field of computer science and alongside our communities (ie: Black and LatinX in particular)
- Experience in simple or advanced animation & video-editing skills in order to make user interfaces / product demos come to life (ie: showing button hover states, creating interactive prototype demonstrations, etc.)
- Commercial awareness of the engineering, science, & technology + ed-tech product markets as well as emerging new technology
- Training within 3-D design / modeling software as well as spatial and visual awareness in order to design within the XR space
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.
If interested, we encourage candidates to submit a resume and cover letter with the following:
- Why are you interested in this project? What unique value add will you bring to the team?
- What is your main working location, hours of work, and any other jobs you currently will have in addition to this one (full-time corporate job vs. full-time freelancer, etc.?).
- What are your relevant experiences with the diversity, equity, and inclusion landscape in the K-12 education space? How does inclusion and equity show up in your practice?
- Work Samples & References
- Please provide 2–3 work samples that best represent your experience relevant for this job. We would like to review for style, execution, organization, and general capabilities. Examples within the education, non-profit, and / or computer science space are welcome but not required.
- Please provide 2–3 client references.
- Working Budget
- Please provide a clear understanding of how you price consulting projects, including your hourly rate if applicable.
Please submit these requirements to EdModRecruiting@fb.com with “Product Designer” in the subject line of your email.